As noted before, I will be moderating this exciting panel this Wednesday, with prominent speakers from IAC (Ask.com, Match.com, etc.), Smarter Agent, MeetMoi, and uLocate.
A nice perspective on major trends that are fueling rapid growth in this area is provided in “Location–Based Services: Back to the Future” in the April-June 2008 IEEE Pervasive Computing Magazine. Key strategic changes outlined there are:
- Reactive to proactive (queries vs. tracking and event driven)
- Self-referencing to cross-referencing (users only vs. other targets)
- Single-target to multi-target (many moving objects)
- Content-oriented to application-oriented (dynamic location, context, and function)
- Operator-centric to user centric (based on open, standard middleware and user-owned location data)
Tags: Media New Media Technology Media Technology Location Location based Services LBS Geotagging GPS Mobile Web/Tech RRR